NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home Training Course
The course teaches students the knowledge, skills, and attitude essential for avoiding dangerous confrontations and for the safe, effective and responsible use of a concealed pistol for self-defense outside the home. Students have the opportunity to attend this course using a quality strong side hip holster that covers the trigger, or a holster purse. From a review of safe firearms handling and proper mindset to presentation from concealment and multiple shooting positions, this course contains the essential skills and techniques needed to prevail in a life-threatening situation.
The NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home is divided into two levels (basic and advanced). Level one is a nine-hour course and offers the essential knowledge and skills that must be mastered in order to carry, store, and use a firearm safely and effectively for personal protection outside the home. Upon completion of level one, students may choose to attend level two, which is approximately an additional five hours of range training and teaches advanced shooting skills. After the classroom portion, students should expect to spend several hours on the range and shoot approximately 250 rounds of ammunition. The ammunition requirements are minimum and may be exceeded.
The NRA Basics of Personal Protection Outside The Home is for adult individuals who are not disqualified from possessing a firearm as defined by applicable federal, state, or local law and are of good repute and possess defensive pistol skills presented in the NRA Basics of Personal Protection In The Home Course. Participants must also understand the basic legal concepts relating to the use of firearms in self-defense and must know and observe not only general gun safety rules, but also those safety principles that are specific to defensive situations. Prospective participants can demonstrate that they have the requisite knowledge, skills, and attitudes by producing an NRA Basic Personal Protection In The Home Course Certificate, or by passing the pre-course evaluation.
Lesson I Introduction to Concealed Carry Safety and the Defensive Mindset
Lesson II Introduction to Self Defense and Concealed Carry
Lesson III Legal Aspects of Concealed Carry and Self Defense*
- *Conducted by an Attorney licensed to practice law within the of Florida, or an individual certified to instruct in this area of the law.
Lesson IV Carry Modes and Concealment
Lesson V Presenting the Handgun from Concealment
Lesson VI Presentation, Position, and Movement**
Lesson VII Special Shooting Techniques**
- **Lessons VI and VII comprise an “Advanced” section of the course and are optional. They require an additional five hours on another day generally the following day based on demand and the availability of appropriate range facilities.
Lesson VIII Sport Shooting Activities and Training Opportunities
Lesson IX Course Review and Examination
This is a 2-day course if taking both sections.
Required for Course:
- Personal protection handgun
- 250 rounds of ammunition (no reloads allowed)
- Strong side hip holster
- Magazine pouches
- Three magazines or speed loaders specific to the handgun being used
- Eye and ear protection.
Students will receive:
- The NRA Guide to the Basics of Personal Protection Outside The Home handbook
- NRA Gun Safety Rules brochure and the appropriate (level one/level two) course completion certificates(s)
- NRA Basic Personal Protection Outside The Home (identifies strong-side hip holster or purse use) certificate
- NRA Advanced Personal Protection Outside The Home certificate.
No ammunition is allowed in the classroom lock it in your car we will get it when needed.
Price and Availability
Time: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Location: WJS Outdoors
2137 N Courtenay Pkwy #22
Merritt Island, FL 32953
Time: 8:00 AM to 1:00 PM
Location: American Police Hall of Fame Shooting Center
6350 Horizon Dr.
Titusville, FL 32780
Cost: $190.00 per person.